Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thanks for coming out tonight!

Now, I’m going to tell you how my weekend went down, by the end it may not sound like it was that cool, but trust me-I had an awesome time!

Thursday (yes, I’m starting with Thursday because I don’t work on Fridays) night we saw the new Star Trek film at the IMAX downtown. Despite our best efforts, we made it to the theater late, meaning we got there about 10 minutes before the movie started instead of the half hour suggested by the theater. The only available seats were (can you guess?) in the front row-sitting down I was certain my brain was going to explode. Thankfully it didn’t and actually it wasn’t too bad. Mild distortion of the actor’s faces was all that plagued us, and as luck would have it we ended up sitting in front of the rest of our party (Trent & Laird). Gummy Bears and Peanut M&Ms shared all around-what fun!

Movie critique: I actually really enjoyed it. I mean I’m not a trekkie, so my critique isn’t shaped by the previous movies or show. I’ve maybe seen 3 episodes of Star Trek (and all their spinoffs) in my life and the only movie I remember seeing is The Voyage Home, in the theater as a double feature with (if I remember correctly) one of the Ernest movies. Having said that, I think they did a pretty good job with casting and the actors with, well, acting. I’m not a huge fan of the guy that played Kirk, mainly because I find that “all American, captain of the football team” type of guy repulsive, but I will say one thing-the kid has good comedic timing.

Friday was Mark’s Karaoke Birthday Partiness! I had an awesome time and sang into the wee hours of the morning.

Highlights: being a backup dancer for Mark singing “I’m Too Sexy” and singing “Toxic” with Laird, who seemed to only want to squeeze out those ridiculously high notes in the chorus leaving me with the verses. Thanks for the back up champ-next time it’ll be Blondie’s “Heart of Glass”!

Things I’ve learned: I know most of the lyrics to every song ever created and singing “You Shook Me All Night Long” to a room full of prudish women (and a few men as well) is not a good idea. I haven’t gotten so many death looks since I was asked to get up and introduce myself in Relief Society with the topic of something I was good at. Apparently telling women I am good at turning men down at clubs doesn’t go over very well.

Saturday Leah, Bridgette and I went to our favorite weekend dance spot where Leah was told by two men she was the most beautiful woman there, Bridgette was followed down the street by a man telling her she looked like an Arab princess, and a man in a security polo told me he had a crush on me. Bridgette told him she was pretty sure I had a crush on him too “so it was okay”. Many comical interactions ensued and we left giggling.

Sunday, after being spiritually uplifted at church (I went to all three meetings-yay!), Bridgette and I headed over to David Randall’s house for “Acoustic Jam Night”. Where we sang many songs including: Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” and Rihanna’s “Umbrella”. It was the first time I had done anything like that and I had a blast. I could probably do that every night actually! Singing is fun.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Allen said...

Well I for one enjoyed you singing and dancing to "You Shook Me All Night Long" but then again it involved you singing and more importantly dancing.

As for them not liking you turning down boys at the clubs, I think that has more to do with most of them never being hit on by guys at clubs so they don't get WHY one would reject someone at a club.

And only 2 people called Leah the prettiest person there? Must have been a slow night.